The Dualers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterPortalLog in

July 16th - indigO2

Go down 
+12
doyles
Chirasin
dior
shalamullery
cal76
Caz
Choccylover
cliver
Emzy
Ska'd4life
jeffmack
Red
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Red
Administrator
Red

July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 12:33 pm

The indigO2 is more high profile and they deserve it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/red.dualers
cliver

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Ska'd4life wrote:
cliver wrote:
Will post more comprehensive comments later, but if I never hear DJ Cello again it will be to soon.
Shouting into the mic and turning up the volume to distortion-level does NOT make an atmosphere, nor does talking to the dancefloor people and ignoring the vast crowd in the balcony.
Might be worth his while to buy some CDs to replace scratched vinyl before his next gig.
Dreadful

Clive, Cello's attention to the dancefloor people was trying to get them dancing. You must remember that although some people remember the ska-two-tone music, there are very few people around who actually know what original Jamaican ska music is. I bet some people there had never heard it before. Cello was trying to set the scene for the Dualers by getting everyone dancing. The focus on downstairs was because upstairs they were not allowed to dance Exclamation

Original Jamaican music is best played, Imho, from the original vinyl, scratches and all. Playing the same from a CD, which is normally digitally cleaned and enhanced and often has had the sound re-balanced, is simply not the same. Surely playing music of this era from the media it was originally recorded on has to be the way.

As to Cello shouting, there were problems with the sound levels on his voice-mic. Wink

As a frequent listener to Cello's music, and us being regular attendees of Coast to Coast, we thought Cello's performance was great in trying to set the scene for the show. Cool

Richard

I remain of the opinion that he got it badly wrong on this occasion. It was not Skavoovie or CtoC, where such 'style' might be acceptable by an audience of regulars. This was a major showcase concert with state-of-the art sound. How many people were on the ground/dancefloor compared to the c1,000 in the balcony?

Many in the balcony didn't realise that the records being played were not the s/track of the screen video until Cello started shouting - in a manner which might do for a pub disco, but was really crass for the style of this venue - plus 'there's a man selling after-show party tickets'....not in the balcony there wasn't!

As one who works producing re-issues of vintage music, I would say that with soul the need is to maintain the 'feel' of the original. There are countless CD reissues of Trojan and other vintage ska labels, produced to original sound specs - and certainly better for the image of ska at a major concert venue than a bit of scratched vinyl which sounds even worse when bumped up to mega-watt volume.

As mentioned earlier, the music will create the atmosphere, not a DJ hollering like a market trader selling dodgy perfume.
Back to top Go down
http://www.solarradio.com
Red
Administrator
Red

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 1:15 pm

I didn't even realise there was a video screen...
Back to top Go down
dior

dior

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Cliver I read your post earlier about the DJ so you did click on the send button.

Had a great night last night, went far too quick though! Loving the new songs, can't wait for the new album.
Back to top Go down
dior

dior

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 pm

Red wrote:

Thought it was just me that didn't see the screen!
Back to top Go down
cliver

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 2:24 pm

dior wrote:
Red wrote:

Thought it was just me that didn't see the screen!

There are two screens showing the stage show to the 1000 + in the balcony - which itself is as large as the Fairfields auditorium- otherwise people would pay good money and see almost nowt.

I think there are also screens at ground-floor level- seem to remember watching Marcia Ball & band on a screen when couldn't get near the stage at the New Orleans Festival last autumn
Back to top Go down
dior

dior

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 1:21 am

Cliver where abouts were the screens? I was on the balcony too and I can't remember seeing them at all!
Back to top Go down
Choccylover

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 1:56 am

We were sat 6 rows from the front in the Kings Row on the right hand side about 6 seats in from the side as you looked at the stage and there was a screen just in front of us. Not sure how much of the stage you could see from further back, but glad we didn't have to watch the boys all night on the telly! Personally I felt the atmosphere was better downstairs and you felt more "included and part of it", but it probably helped because you could have a dance! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ska'd4life

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 3:09 am

Link to another of the new songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5meFcF7kA

Enjoy

Richard
Back to top Go down
cliver

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 4:14 am

dior wrote:
Cliver where abouts were the screens? I was on the balcony too and I can't remember seeing them at all!

If you recall, the balcony has three sections, and the screens are above the left and right sections.
Back to top Go down
dior

dior

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 5:16 am

Thanks Cliver. I sat in the middle of Kings Row in the third row. Did not notice screens at all. Who I went with didn't either! Maybe it was the effect of the wine!

How did you find the venue? I had a good view of them, but would think if you are higher you would feel like you were just viewing the top of their heads as the seating goes up quite steep.
Back to top Go down
cliver

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 6:00 am

dior wrote:
Thanks Cliver. I sat in the middle of Kings Row in the third row. Did not notice screens at all. Who I went with didn't either! Maybe it was the effect of the wine!

How did you find the venue? I had a good view of them, but would think if you are higher you would feel like you were just viewing the top of their heads as the seating goes up quite steep.

In 'traditional' terms, the venue is prestigeous but awful. Thursday was my second and last time there (unless I'm given a comp ticket for the December show and the dreadful Cello has been put out to grass!).

In contemporary terms it is a comfortable but badly-organised rip-off.

My previous visit was to a free music festival, so was able to wander in and out at ground-floor level, and go upstairs for a seat if required. Ground floor was fine for standing for 20 minutes, with the big screen handy for close-ups of solo-ists.

Thursday was an experience I won't repeat at any cost to me. Balcony seating is plush/comfortable, but the need for big-screens indicates the awareness that you won't see much of the stage unless you're seated front-centre. Also so many people wandering in and out with drinks, plus the (lack of) signage at the doors re Ground floor or balcony entrance - so many people queueing at one door for several minutes then being shunted off to the other door.

The concessions stall tucked away behind the 'main' door - no ushers, minimal signage inside. Exit from balcony only from left staircase, despite there being doors both sides. You'd probably expect the drinks to be expensive - brought my own (bottle of fruit squash) carried in pocket, as bag-search would probably have resulted in confiscation of bottle.

Lots of people were walking out at the interval. Wonder how many returned?
Some good reaction on non-music forums - any press reports yet?
Back to top Go down
Chirasin

Chirasin

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 6:11 am

This is sooooo not funny, but, for the people with a really warped sense of humour, I thought I would share........

I recorded all the songs in the first half on my camera, the sound was okay with minimal feedback.

I have been having problems with uploading vids from camera to computer, so therefore thought I would 'experiment' with a few things.

ie take out memory card and transfer via scanner (which was okay for pics, but not vids), anyways, whilst transferring back into camera, i changed some of the settings on the camera (including format) and, strangely enough the memory card is now blank.

So, unfortunately all the songs i recorded are now no longer there and will therefore not be on youtube (ahh well, roll on Si's gig at Ashcroft and, of course, the Indigo in December).

I thank Ska'd4Life and Antony and anyone else who uploads their vids from Thursday Smile
Back to top Go down
doyles

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 2:00 pm

I agree about the price of drinks. I queried £7.00 cost for a malibu and coke and was told that they always pour double measures. Did anybody see any notices claiming this. did I just miss it?

Didn't like the VIP seats. When you go to see the Dualers to not be able to dance is ludicrous. Luckily I had a quiet word with one of the ushers and she got us into the downstairs for the second half so happy days.

Upset that xmas party is not at Brenwood as I think there is a much better atmosphere there. However I will definitely be getting downstair tickets this time
Back to top Go down
Red
Administrator
Red

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 2:26 pm

I saw a notice saying 'we serve however-many-mils as standard, please ask if you would like smaller'.

I think it may have been 50mls but as I'm not a drinker I have no idea of measures.
Back to top Go down
Shez

Shez

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 3:06 am

I had such a fantastic time at this show! Si and Tyber gave 101% they are so entertaining! I would recommend one of their shows to anyone Smile
Back to top Go down
mickeyb_39

mickeyb_39

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 4:38 am

An awesome show @ Indig02 from Si & Tyber....cant wait til December for the next one! bounce
Back to top Go down
mickeyb_39

mickeyb_39

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 4:40 am

Red wrote:
I saw a notice saying 'we serve however-many-mils as standard, please ask if you would like smaller'.

I think it may have been 50mls but as I'm not a drinker I have no idea of measures.

Yes it was 50mls as standard affraid
Back to top Go down
Ska'd4life

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 5:11 am

Chirasin wrote:
This is sooooo not funny, but, for the people with a really warped sense of humour, I thought I would share........

I recorded all the songs in the first half on my camera, the sound was okay with minimal feedback.

I have been having problems with uploading vids from camera to computer, so therefore thought I would 'experiment' with a few things.

ie take out memory card and transfer via scanner (which was okay for pics, but not vids), anyways, whilst transferring back into camera, i changed some of the settings on the camera (including format) and, strangely enough the memory card is now blank.

So, unfortunately all the songs i recorded are now no longer there and will therefore not be on youtube (ahh well, roll on Si's gig at Ashcroft and, of course, the Indigo in December).

I thank Ska'd4Life and Antony and anyone else who uploads their vids from Thursday Smile

Was the comment about warped sense of humour aimed at me amongst others. You are right, anyone else then I would have laffed me socks off but you Christine (is there an emoticon for plonker) I am gutted.

Richard
Back to top Go down
Chirasin

Chirasin

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 5:19 am

tbh, Richard, I'm just pleased that everyone enjoyed themselves and at least you, and others, have uploaded (i have yet to watch and comment).

"plonker" is an understatement but will accept it with a Embarassed cyclops
Back to top Go down
Ska'd4life

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 5:28 am

This is just a post to bring my O2 Indigo video clips from Youtube together.

There's Always a Sunshine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5meFcF7kA

They'll Never Know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMP-IhMYu1g

Doctor in the House

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dElDxaY_UVU

Pack Up Your Troubles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc_vx8dW1bQ

Enjoy

Richard
Back to top Go down
shalamullery

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 5:30 am

skad--did you get rudy on film by any chance.
Back to top Go down
Ska'd4life

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 5:33 am

shalamullery wrote:
skad--did you get rudy on film by any chance.

No sorry, not this time. I was trying for the new songs.

Richard
Back to top Go down
Red
Administrator
Red

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 5:53 am

I have it on video somewhere, from Skavoovie, but can't find it...
Back to top Go down
dior

dior

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 6:54 am

Think there is one on youtube at Brentwood Centre.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: July 16th - indigO2   July 16th - indigO2 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

July 16th - indigO2
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next